Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Come out, Rapunzel!

I don't know when or how the tradition started, but every time someone in our family had a birthday, all the children would hide in my parent's bedroom while Mom and Dad lighted the candles on the cake.  Then my dad would call us out one by one, not by our given names, but by our princess names.

"Come out, Cinderella!"

And Kimmi would giggle and run out. (Kim was the obvious choice for Cinderella, due to her angelic nature and awesome floor scrubbing capabilities.)

"Come out, Sleeping Beauty!"

And Alison would giggle and run out.  (Alison was a good sleeper.)

"Come out, Snow White!"

And Kelly would giggle and run out.  (Kelly was the only one with dark hair.  And she is the fairest of them all.)

"Come out, Rapunzel!"

And I would giggle and run out.  (I had the longest hair.)

"Come out, Prince Charming!"

And Robert would puff out his chest and run out. (The only boy, what can you do?)

"Come out, Thumbelina!"

And Sarah would giggle and run out.  (Sarah was and is so petite.)

"Come out, Jasmine!"

And Ria would giggle and run out. (Maria got to pick her own princess.  She's obviously Dad's favorite.)

"Come out, Aladdin!"

And Morgan would giggle and run out.  (Morgan loved vests.  She would take her shirt off and run around all day just wearing a vest.)

The order pretty much always stayed the same, except if it was your birthday, then you were saved for last.  It might sound like one of the most ridiculous traditions that has ever stuck with a family, but to us it was the only thing that ever made a birthday complete.  There was nothing in the world that matched that mischievous feeling of hiding in the bedroom in pure child-like anticipation, waiting to hear your special name called, watching your siblings leave one by one until all the sudden you were the only one left.  You could hear the whispers and see the shadows flickering off the birthday candle light and just when you thought that maybe they had forgotten to call you...

"Come out, Rapunzel!"

And you would regally walk out with your birthday-princess head held high.  Your fellow royalty would start to sing as they elbowed each other for better positioning around the cake.  You would smile humbly and graciously wait until all three verses of Happy Birthday were complete, then fulfill your royal duties of blowing out the candles and letting them eat cake.  There are rare moments in my life that make me feel as honored or as loved as those Rapunzel moments.

We haven't done this tradition in probably over ten years.  I think I know what I'm going to ask for for my birthday this year.


6 comments:

Caty said...

I think you guys should record this.

Kim Woodruff said...

Many love you today! Many love you today! Many love you dear Ashley! Many love you today!

It doesn't have to be your birthday to sing that verse, does it? Thanks for the post. I teared up reading it. I'm going to have to remember to record that tradition in my journal. And hey--congrats on finally getting a movie to go with your name. Have you seen it yet Rapunzel?

Alison said...

I thought this whole post was going to be about the movie, was that just a coincidence that you happened to be thinking about this the same time the movie came out?

Ashley said...

This post is not a coincidence and I did see the movie last night. I have four words for that film: Best. Disney. Movie. Ever. I might be a little biased, because she's my princess. I was going to post about the movie, but then I didn't want to give anything away if some people had not watched it yet. I think I will post about it anyway.

Liz said...

Love it... I never knew about Robert special name. I remember hearing about all of the girls. What a great memory.

Ruthie K said...

I love your family. Period.