Sunday, November 21, 2010

Keep It Funny

Knock, knock.

Who's there?

Back pain.

Back pain who?

Lower back pain!  Isn't that funny?!



     I have read and discussed quite a bit of lower back pain information for the passed two weeks and no matter what the advice is, it always ends with: try to laugh.  Apparently, depression is the absolute worst thing you could do for back pain.  So over the last two weeks as I've laid on my back looking at the ceiling, or stood at my desk until my feet go numb, I've tried to be more sensitive to the humor all around me.  And boy, there is a lot.

For instance: 

~I've noticed how similar my movements have become to pregnant women, especially while getting in and out of cars.  My roommates take turns taking me on long slow walks around the neighborhood to try and help ease the pain.  I like to frequently assure them not to worry, that the baby is coming any day now.  I also like to let everyone know when the baby is kicking especially hard.  These jokes never get old.

~While on a back walk today, Kelly stepped in dog poo.  This is the third time she has stepped in dog poo in my presence in the last month.  Not to mention the time last month she also stepped on a dead bird.  Sometimes during my ceiling staring times, I like to ponder how many times she's stepped in something not in my presence and has failed to mention it to me.  I like to think it's at least twice.

~It is difficult to laugh and walk at the same time, it feels like your spine is a jackhammer slamming up and down against your body.  The consequential pain makes my laugh sound like a jackhammer.  I don't know if that's funny or the fact that no one has notice how weird my laugh sounds.  Which means...that's how my laugh usually sounds....






~I found this book online, which was a small miracle.  There were so many questions I had about back pain that I was just too shy to ask - I didn't dare.










~I developed a vicious rash up and down my back last week.  That was kind of funny.

~Owen Wilson is hilarious.  And Drillbit Taylor is by far the best movie he has ever made. (Drillbit: What's wrong with you guys? Boy: Well, he's fat, he's a dork, and I'm awesome. Drillbit: And by awesome you mean scared, skinny, and lonely.)
~Two of my roommates caught the Cold of Death this week.  The three of us laid around the house doped up on painkillers and cold medicine, unable to move.  It was entertaining.

~An abnormal amount of IB Prufen does a lot of humorous things to your digestive system.  It has kept me laughing all week.

~I think I might have caught the Cold of Death.  Which is funny when you think about trying to breathe when you can't prop yourself up.  And when you try to cough without moving your back.

I think this humor thing is really working, I can already tell that my back is on the mend.


6 comments:

Kim Woodruff said...

Oh Ash, sorry it's been so rough. Did you get to a doctor?

Ashley said...

Yah. They think something just fell out of place. I just have to wait until my muscles push it back into place.

Caty said...

My goodness, Ashley, I want you to feel better!! I am so sorry you are going through this right now.

Liz said...

Back pain is the worse been there experienced it and try to avoid. hope you fell better fast. I like heat and stretching, but not sure on your type of pain if that would help.

Sarah said...

Ashleeeeeeeeey! That was hilarious. You should use all the free ceiling staring time to write a book.

Lil M said...

Who are you and what have you done with Ashley Kitchen? You like Drillbit Taylor?!? I don't know how I feel about this.