Friday, December 3, 2010

This One is for Ashley!

***SPOILER ALERT: If you have not seen the movie, Tangled, you might not want to read this.***
***BORING ALERT:  If you have seen the movie, Tangled, you probably already thought these exact same things and this will be very redundant to you.***

As previously mentioned, I have been nicknamed Rapunzel since I was a little girl.  This has coincidedly made me feel like an outcast in the family.  Everyone else's princess/prince nickname was attached to a beloved movie.  Everyone else had visual representations of themselves, their forest friends, and their future lovers.  I had squat.  Granted, when Sarah was dubbed Thumbelina there was not yet a movie for her.  But she only had to wait 7 short years before she got her awesome representation.  Try waiting 27 years.

This has been my dream all my life - waiting for Disney to make a Rapunzel movie.  I was so excited to go see the movie, we documented much of the process.


Me, buying the ticket.



Kelly's photography skills.


All of our "tangled" hair






After seeing the movie, I've decided that 27 years was well worth the wait.  They must have had to wait that long in order to truly capture the essence of Rapunzel, which makes sense because that essence is me.  I am Rapunzel.  Please note the shocking similarities:

We both have green eyes and the same eyebrows



Rapunzel was obsessed with dreams.  Not only hers, but helping other people achieve their dreams.
I am obsessed with dreams and helping other people achieve their dreams.


Rapunzel has a horrible guilt complex that runs against the ability to achieve her dreams. I have a somewhat functional guilt/lazy complex that runs against the ability to achieve my dreams.

All of Rapunzel's hobbies are my hobbies. (Baking pies, reading, knitting, painting, charting stars, playing hide n' seek, singing, dancing, weilding frying pans, taming horses, sidewalk chalk drawing...)


Rapunzel was blonde, and then she became a brunette.  I was blonde and then became a brunette.



Rapunzel dated an ex-con. I dated an ex-con.


Rapunzel's hair glows when she sings and has magical healing powers.  I have been told my hair can get really shiny (If I take consistent showers.  And stand in the right kind of sunlight.).


Rapunzel sure had a rotten birthday in the movie.  I have been known to have unlucky birthdays.

I could list similarities forever (our persuasion skills, our serious promises, our fashion sense, being lost princesses...) but in summary, watching that movie was like watching my life.  It was truly a dream come true.  And now, just like Rapunzel, I will have to find a new dream.

I hope you all have seen the movie - it really is a visually stunning masterpiece and it's funny and it's just good old Disney.  If you haven't seen it, please go see it - and when you do, please raise your arms up in the air and shout out in dedication: This one is for Ashley!  Just like Kelly did.


1 comment:

Sarah said...

I'm so happy for you that you finally got a movie. And thank you for the representation on the 7 year wait I had to go through.