Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Love that Let Us Share Our Name

Four years ago, I was about to go on a perilous backpacking trip to Havasupai Falls.  I felt eerily anxious about it, so the night before I left, I told Kelly everything she needed to do if I died on the trip.  Since then, we have often had that same conversation before one of us leaves on a trip.

The years have changed, but the conversation mainly stays the same.

***Tell Mom and Dad I loved them and my only goal was to be just like them.  And give them all my money.

***Tell my siblings they were my heroes and in all the world I never once found anyone more beautiful or as good as them.  And tell them once again I'm sorry for the hairy macaroni dinner.

***Tell my nieces and nephews I would have stolen them for my own, but tell them in a way that doesn't sound so creepy.

***Tell that cute boy I've had a crush on for months that I thought he was the living end.

***You can have that cute shirt you always borrow.

***When you read my journals, remember that I always had a dramatic flare when it came to ink and paper.

***Don't let anyone have any fun while I'm gone.

The other day, I heard this song.  And it twisted my heart and wrung out a few tears and reminded me of all those conversations and of all the hopes and efforts of love I try to share even and especially before I die.




What would you say before you died?

3 comments:

Kelli Burton said...

I think about this subject all the time---I'm glad I'm not the only one. It's time I started a will or something..

Lil M said...

I would tell you that I am glad more than anything else that we share our name.

sherie said...

I would make sure someone told you I love your blog, I love the way you write, the things you say, and the stuff you make me think about. I love you Ash.
ps Clark has this CD at work but I have never listened to it. Love it. I am now going to itunes to buy it.