Thursday, September 15, 2011

2011 Summer Book Review

So I've read A LOT of books this summer.  Here are some contributing factors as to why: escape from doing homework, insomnia, long plane rides, escape from doing homework, Metro commuting, and a library addiction.  Oh, and an escape from doing homework.

Here's a "quick" review:

**** 1/2 Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell - I capital "L" oved this book.  It was, however, slightly unnerving.  The bad guys in this book were normal people who were selfish, lazy, nosy, and vain.  In other words, they were me, I was the bad guy...like I said, capital "U" nnerving.



***Keturah and Lord Death by Martine Leavitt - This book was weird, both in an odd and a unique sense, which made the overall effect good.  Which is the way I often describe myself.

** 1/2 Fire by Kristin Cashore - This was a pre-quel/companion book to a book I read last year called Graceling.  If you recall, I did not enjoy Graceling.  Why did I read this book then?  I don't know, I think I was trying to escape homework or something.  It was a little bit better than it's companion book though, so I don't regret it.

**Hidden Adventures - The Big Island by I. Don't Remember - It was a tour guide book that I read to become better acquainted with Hawai'i before our trip.  Like most informational books, the introduction was the best part.  Well, I guess you could say that the best part was actually not reading it at all, but just being there.  Remember Hawai'i, wasn't that great?


**A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Future by Michael J. Fox - Oh, little Marty, you are so charming.  It was a fun little book that told you some of the crazy things he had to do and learn in order to make it big and find his density.



**What Jazz Is by Johnny King - I like jazz, so I wanted to learn more about it.  This book was a lot like the music, scattered but enjoyable and happy.  What can I say?  I like my books and jazz like I like my men, scattered but enjoyable and happy.

* 1/2 Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson - Adrienne and I read this to each other back in the day when we were still experiencing our LOOOOONG commutes.  The narrator was a little too "in your face" for my tastes, and I'd probably only recommend the book if you had Adrienne to read it aloud to you as you drove bumper by bumper through rush hour traffic - she does great voices.  It did have a really hilarious part at the end where it totally makes fun of Harry Potter, which single-handedly added a whole 1/2 star to its final rating.

****The China Study by T. Collin Campbell and Thomas M. Campbell, II - I dare anyone to not think twice about becoming vegan after reading this book.


***Heartbeat by Sharon Creech - Do you know what I like about this book?  It's not some YA novel about a parent dying or leaving, it's not about race, rape, suicide, violence, being homeless - it's just a nice, short, happy book about family, running, and sketching apples.  I think the YA genre needs more simple books like that.

**** 1/2 The Book Thief by Markus Zusak - This book was about everything Heartbeat was not about: race, suicide, violence, being homeless...and on top of that it was also about death, lots and lots of death. And yet it was strangely, achingly beautiful.  I've never read a book written like this one, it's like the words were an additional character of the book - they became alive on the page and danced and floated around me.  They rang so soundly in my mind, their vibrations echoed long after I'd finish reading it.

*****King Bidgood in the Bathtub by Audrey Wood - I found this book at the thrift store for 25 cents.  Best money I've ever spent.  It's by the same author and illustrator as my most favorite nostalgic children's book, Heggedy Peg.  The book is about a king who won't get out of the bathtub and all the people who try to get him out but are tricked into getting in with him.  'Nuf said.


*****Fancy Nancy (and the Posh Puppy, Bonjour Butterfly, Explorer Extraordinaire) by Jane O'Connor - Genius.  It's not fair.

**The Best American Essays (2008) edited by Adam Gopnik and Robert Atwan - I'll be honest, some of these essays I skimmed through.  But some of them were riveting, like an essay on geriatric medicine and how it has turned humans into a science fiction story, or an essay about the history of Hitler's mustache and the author's personal experience when he grew one, or an essay about a terminally ill child and how doctors treated him experimentally in the 50's, or an essay on plagiarism written almost entirely from other works.  I guess overall, it was just nice to read a book simply to know I wasn't alone in being in love with the essay and the unique beauty that can be expressed through such a format.  Essays are the best, booyah!

**Poppleton by Cynthia Rylant - I read this book for several school assignments (see, not all my reading was an escape).  Some chapters are witty and weird.  Other chapters are confusing and weird.  Overall, it was weird.

**Good Night, Good Knight by Shelley Moore Thomas - Also, another book I used in school assignments. This book made me say, "Ha.  Ha."  I hope you understand that it did not make me laugh, "Haha," it made me say, "Ha. Ha."  Which I guess is okay to do sometimes.

***1/2 Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling - Well, that was a creative story.
**** Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets by JoJo Rowling - Ah, she got me again!  Wasn't expecting that twist at the end.  How is she so creative?
***** Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azcaban by Ms. Rowling - Um, wait a second.  What's going on here?  Is there more to this story than anyone ever thought? I guess she's more than just creative.
**** Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Money -  He's back!  Da-da-da-doom.
**** Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix by Row, Row, Rowling in the Money - I don't remember crying three times during this book the first time I read it.  What is wrong with me?
***** Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince by You've Got  to be J.K.ing Me Rowling -  In my humble, Harry Potter opinion this is by far the best book in the entire series.
**** Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by J.K.Genius. Rowling - Why did it ever have to come to an end?




I tried to read a book right after Harry Potter.  In fact, I tried to read a book that I had waited 6 months for on the library hold list.  It was called Swamplandia! (the official title includes the explanation point) and it was about a family that runs an amusement park based on live alligator shows.  But Harry Potter ruined me, not even a book about wrestling alligators was interesting enough.  In the end, I had to return the book unfinished.  I guess I'm going to need some time to forget about HP so that other books will become enjoyable to me.

8 comments:

Liz said...

Ah, J.K. Rowling, your genius is unsurpassed. I have a friend who refuses to read Harry Potter because it is popular. I feel bad for her. :(

One of the best things I have ever read was an essay in The New Yorker called "The Tangle". You should read it!

Kim Woodruff said...

King Bidgood is one of our favorites! Also Alcatraz and the Evil Librarians. I know the narrator is too intrusive for most readers, but I enjoy Sanderson's clever twists of literary traditions. He's such a smart writer. And Martine Leavitt is one of the most amazing authors I have ever met. The writing in Keturah and Lord Death is exquisite, but I was not a huge fan of the ending.

Sarah said...

If essays are the best why did you give it two stars? That's what I thought! And I'd like you to please ship the hegedy peg book to me. Thank you.

Alison said...

Another classic book review. My favorite: the Harry Potter review. Also, I tear up every time I watch that video. I can't help myself.

sherie said...

:) I thought the name of the first book was 1/2 Wives and Daughters. LOL It wasn't until I read on the I realized it was a half star!! I never claimed to be the sharpest knife in the drawer. :)

Liz said...

Isabelle would love to know that you like Fancy Nancy it is one of her favorite, I need to get more of her books for Isabelle.

Kelli Burton said...

I own a copy of king bidgood's too! great illustrations. I'll have to look for heggedy peg.

Liz said...

There are so many Liz's on here already...good thing we have pictures. Anyway, this is me which means you can use me to get to my blog. It sounds like a mean thing, but it's really ok :)