Monday, May 14, 2012

The Hunger Games

For almost two weeks after reading the final book in the Hunger Games series, I had trouble sleeping - often lying in bed with scenes and emotions from the book filling my head to the point of sleepless anxiety. Weird, right? Especially coming from a girl who as soon as the last page of any book (good or bad) is turned has already forgotten half of the scenes in the book. 


So why the dramatic emotional angst over the Hunger Games? Why do I feel slightly angry and betrayed by the time I gave to that story? Why do I cringe whenever I hear people talking about how much they love it?


It's taken me quite awhile to find the right words to explain, even to myself, why I dislike this book so much.  I have found myself relying on four specific quotes that truly help me pinpoint my struggle.


The first quote is from one of my all time favorite plays, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead: "Audiences know what they expect and that is all they are prepared to believe in." I connect this quote to one from the movie, Shadowlands: "We read to know we are not alone." As a reader, I expect a book to tell me something about the human experience, which in turn will help me know that I am not alone in this world. That is, I guess, all I am prepared to believe in. Yet when I finished the Hunger Games, I felt as if it was trying to tell me that the human experience was one without hope - a never-ending cycle of violence and corruption and loss of love - and I have never felt more alone after finishing a book.


The third quote is a dooesy, but it's one of the most beautiful dooesies ever written.  It's from William Faulkner's Nobel prize acceptance speech:


     "Our tragedy today is a general and universal physical fear so long sustained by now that we can even bear it. There are no longer problems of the spirit. There is only the question: When will I be blown up? Because of this, the young man or woman writing today has forgotten the problems of the human heart in conflict with itself which alone can make good writing because only that is worth writing about, worth the agony and the sweat…I decline to accept the end of man. It is easy enough to say that man is immortal simply because he will endure: that when the last dingdong of doom has clanged and faded from the last worthless rock hanging tideless in the last red and dying evening, that even then there will still be one more sound: that of his puny inexhaustible voice, still talking. I refuse to accept this. I believe that man will not merely endure: he will prevail. He is immortal, not because he alone among creatures has an inexhaustible voice, but because he has a soul, a spirit capable of compassion and sacrifice and endurance. The poet's, the writer's, duty is to write about these things. It is his privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart, by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past. The poet's voice need not merely be the record of man, it can be one of the props, the pillars to help him endure and prevail."

I believe that Suzanne Collins is an excellent writer. But I believe she used her gift to make a weird political statement and completely lost the truth of the immortal soul of man. She sounded the last dingdong of doom and left a puny inexhaustible voice, still talking –one that had simply endured, not prevailed. Katniss was left enduring through her repetitive game of listing the goodness she saw in others, a game that could not prevail over her lasting fears.

The final quote is from, of course, Sam and Mr. Frodo:

*Frodo: I can't do this, Sam.
*Sam: I know. It's all wrong. By rights we shouldn't even be here. But we are. It's like in the great stories, Mr. Frodo. The ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger, they were. And sometimes you didn't want to know the end. Because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end, it's only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you. That meant something, even if you were too small to understand why. But I think, Mr. Frodo, I do understand. I know now. Folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going. Because they were holding on to something.
*Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
*Sam: That there's some good in this world, Mr. Frodo... and it's worth fighting for.

The Hunger Games did not show anything good worth fighting for.  Instead, it showed a world that would eventually fall back into killing each other, broken heroes who lost the only thing they were fighting for, unrepentant characters who never found hope.  Gale got a fancy job in the district he hated, Haymitch was still a drunk, Katniss and her mother never mended their relationship, Plutarch still wanted power, Effie still lived on schedule, Katniss had children she did not want, she feared bringing them into the world and feared telling them about the world. I cannot find a glimmer of hope in any of these outcomes – not even the light of the dandelion(Peeta) to bring her(Katniss) through the fire – because Peeta had no light because he wasn’t really Peeta anymore but rather a hollowed shell of what he once was. Perhaps the good worth fighting for then is that the world may be a hopeless, evil, chaotic place but we can still live quiet lives as ghosts of our former selves?

I do not know what life experiences Ms. Collins has had - I do not know the depths of her sorrows or her joys, but I am left wondering why she chose to write this book the way she did. I know some people have been able to dig deeper into this book and find a glimmer of hope, a moment of peace. I admit that I have tried as well, however my efforts must be unsuccessful seeing as how it's been almost a year since reading it and whenever I hear it mentioned or see it, I feel an immediate wave of depression and sadness. Does anyone really want to write a book that has that effect on people? I am not trying to suggest that every book needs to be rainbows and roses, I actually enjoy sad books but perhaps it is because the hope I find in them shines all the brighter. In The Hunger Games I wanted a prevailing bright hope, but was left with a puny, enduring voice.

Where was my prevailing bright hope? Where was my Sam to carry me to the top of Mount Mordor when all was lost? Where was my unknown narrator who reassured me that in this life, this heart of darkness, I was not alone? Where was my forgiveness between brothers who killed each others fathers? Where was my Sonia who brought me food in prison? Where was my conquering of giant windmills for the sake of honor? Where was my Mr. Darcy who found the power of humility?  Where was Asher's loyalty to truth and his efforts to balance the world? Where was good ol' Huck who could not pray a lie? Where was little Sydney who made the ultimate sacrifice? Where was my Boo who came out of a life of isolation to save two young children? Where was the Count and his ultimate realization to trust in God?  Where was my Scarlett who never broke, never gave up, just like her beloved land?  Where was the compassion that led Ender to save, destroy, and begin again?  Where was the professor that offered a simple umbrella?  Where were the Joads, who suffered tragically not from physical nature or economic misfortune but from their fellow human beings and yet still chose to reach out and save one of them? Where is my John Proctor who would not compromise his name, even at the point of death? Where was Liesel's book full of tales of compassion and courage that haunted Death itself? And where, may I ask, was my little scarred wizard who was saved by his choice to love?


Well, Ashley, you might say, these are all fictional stories and The Hunger Games was trying to be truly realistic because life doesn't always have a happy ending full of shining hope. Okay, well then how about some "realistic" questions. Where was my Viktor Frankl, who in the horror of the Holocaust and losing everyone he cared for still found salvation in love? Where was my mom and dad, who have found hope and happiness every day amid the difficult battles of life? Where was my William Wilberforce who fought for over 26 years to abolish slavery?  Where were my handcart pioneers who felt the angels pushing them along? Where was my Chilean miner who stopped in a dark tunnel to admire a white butterfly which saved his life?  Where was my George Washington who gave up unmatched power for the good of all? Where was my Tim Tebow who just keeps giving back? Where was my Clark family who adopted 21 children no one else wanted?


And where was my Second Coming (all of our very realistic ending) where every knee shall bow and every tongue confess?  This, after all, is why we are drawn to stories of good and evil, stories of hope and heroes and happily ever after. Because we know despite all odds that good will eventually and irrevocably win. We sense that same truth in the happily ever after stories, and frankly, I do not want to waste my time on any other kind.

15 comments:

Alison said...

Amen. I wish you posted this a year ago. I loved it.

Anonymous said...

Good review, good writing, and well thought out for your point of view. I agree, I read the first book and thought cool, righteous characters who give of themselves for those they love, fight against an imposing power and prevail against the odds. Then comes book two fight gets bigger going, they lose some of the perspective when, but are learning more about what is really important to them and fight for it. Then the third book comes and it like reading about a sinking ship that now know is going down and someone has poked holes in all the life rafts. and the only ones that survive have been left blinded by the sun and the sharks have eaten all there limbs and not single member of there family or friends survived. Yeah there alive, but should they be? (I was having a hard time finding a good comparison) Anyway it was like she started the series thinking she was going to shine a light on the cruelty of the world, but provide some brave characters to show us they way out. Then she got depressed half way through and confused by so many characters and couldn't think of how to end there story, so she just killed them all off.

I'm always conflicted with ending, because really there are no such thing, but in the world of fictional stories there must be one, and this was not a good one.

Scott Gunter

Anonymous said...

I should have proof read :)

Scott

Mad re said...

I love your heart and mind. Felt the same way! When I talk to people about the disappointing ending they ask, "But how else could it have ended?" ?

Monica Hepworth said...

I'm so glad you wrote this! After hearing about the storyline of these books, this is exactly why i didn't want to read them. Who wants to be preached at about how empty and pointless the world is, even when you survive it? Not only is this type of supposed "realisim" not fun to read, i don't even agree that it is true. People may think that they are being brave and honest by facing such a stark "reality", but i love the uplifting examples you gave that support a more balanced and realistic view of the world as a place that is flawed but also full of meaning and joy and strength.

Becky said...

Ashley, yes, yes, yes. Thank you for taking the time to put to words that which many of us felt but couldn't articulate. Exactly!

Kirsten said...

Thank you for this, Ashley. I usually just describe this book as "stupid" and "pointless" so you said it way better than me :) I hated it pretty much the whole way through, and the ending was just awful. The first 2 books were great and it was like the author just gave up and threw this book together because it needed some sort of closure. But this one being so bad totally ruins all of them for me.

Liz said...

Fabulous review Ashley, and so eloquently stated. I know a LOT of people felt the same way you did after finishing the series. I'm not one of those people. :) I can't say that I found a glimmer of hope in the way it ended, but that's okay with me. It was a dark and tragic story, and I think it was brilliant in what it was.

By the way, I found it interesting that you used John Proctor as an example. I despise The Crucible and a couple of weeks ago, Ben and I had a lengthy discussion about John Proctor and why I hate him so much. Not a noble character, in my opinion. :)

Sarah said...

This is ridiculous. I can't believe you have eight positive comments here. I think she(Suzanne Collins) couldn't have ended the book more realistically. What where you looking for exactly? You wanted Peeta and Katniss to act as if they never had that happen to them? I'm pretty sure anyone in that kind of a situation would come out feeling some shell shock and maybe it would last their whole life. You wanted Haymitch to miraculously no longer need alcohol to fight off his demon memories of having to kill children to stay alive? Just because there was a war and things changed, it didn't change the past. And then you have a problem with the fact that Katniss had the children that she always said she wouldn't have? That's your hope for you right there. These children that she now felt okay bringing into this new world. Her children won't have to practice in the barbaric ritual of "the hunger games". I'm sorry that the book didn't end with everyone feeling hunky dory for you. But that's realism. Sometimes people are scarred for life from the horrible things that they experience. And lastly everything is a cycle of violence, open up a history book. I don't know maybe I missed the point you're trying to make, I'm just the dyslexic child in the family of geniuses, but really I think you're putting to much thought into this book. Can't it just be a thrill, a love triangle, a fight of good versus evil. Why do we have to analyze a fictional book for young adults. It's just junk food. Love you :)

Ashley said...

Thank you all for your comments - I love book discussions!

Sarah, you told me you were going to slap me in the face if I said anything negative about this book, and you did a good job of holding back. You make some excellent points but in answer to all your questions, yes. Yes, I wanted all of those things because like I was trying to say I wanted a miracle - a bright shining hope. Do people change because of horrible things, sometimes for the worse, yes. But do I believe in the Atonement that has the power to heal all wounds, even deep ugly scars? Yes. Is it possible for people to overcome alcoholism. Yes. Is it possible to own your trials instead of them own you? Yes. I like how you use the children as the example of hope because I try to cling to that when I'm trying to find good in the book but it's just so hard for me because even that is surrounded by fear - even though she had them she still feared them, she still feared what the world would do to them (since she hints that the hunger games or something equal to it was always a possibility in the unsure goverment). Even if I tried to appreciate this as junk, thriller, love triangle material - in my opinion evil won, which is fine if you want to write books like that but like I said I do not want to waste my time on them. And I'm sorry I can't help but analyze, it's akin to Haymitch's drunkenness - it's so much a part of me. But if by stopping analyzing things would give you that one bright hope, I would do it for you. Because I love you. And maybe you are the one genius in the family because you are the one that is able to dig deep enough to find good in this book.

And Alison, I'm sorry it took me so long.

And Scott, I absolutely loved your analogy, that is exactly how I felt as I read this series.

And Zanne, you're right that question grates me - it could have ended in so many different ways!

And Monica, I'm not surprised we think and feel so similar :)

And Becky, I miss your blog - where are all your posts?!

And Kirsten, I think saying stupid and pointless is a much more direct way of saying all the fluff I did. I"m going to try that next time.

And Liz, I remember reading your review of Mockingjay when it first came out and feeling so good that you were able to find good in it - that was my bright hope, that it didn't effect everyone the way it effected me. As for John Proctor, I would have loved to have been in on that discussion. My use of him, however, was not as an example of a noble character. I listed several examples of people I do not consider noble (Count of Montecristo, Raskalnikov, Marlow, Hamlet and Laertes, the Joads, Huck, Asher. Liesel, Ender, Scarlett, Don Quixote, Boo, Sydney, Mr. Darcy, etc.) but were rather seriously flawed. Some of them I like, some of them I don't. The point I was trying to make, and I probably didn't explain it very well, was that I am drawn to sad, imperfect, almost bad characters or stories because I love that they can still overcome all that to have a moment of hope. A moment is all I need, not a complete character reversal into a noble figure. I guess because that is what I am looking for myself as a flawed, imperfect sometimes bad character. I want someone to show me the courage, the independence, the compassion, the strength, etc., to overcome all the faults for a moment of hope - a moment where the Atonement can make clean and new and lead to more and more moments of hope until we can become more like Him. Other people might not read for this purpose or might not realize why they read, but this is why I read and I just thought I would share. PS When are we going to start our documentary parties again?!

Liz said...

I totally knew that's what you were saying, and I meant that I didn't think John Proctor ever had that redeeming moment. :) I love that you have that kind of optimism to look for those moments of hope in the things you read. I admit, most of the time I just read for entertainment.

Are you back in Utah? I would LOVE to see you! I have a huge list of food documentaries I want to make time for. Someday. Sigh. Babies...they ruin everything. :)

Anonymous said...

I still haven't read the books.

In defense of Sarah: if you remember in Lord of the Rings Frodo was never the same again. He was unhappy, and sad and wanted to leave his country for the Elvish heaven thingy. Life is quite the struggle for people who have experienced tragic, horrific events. A real life experience of this is POW's. Some of their homes are completely brocken when they return becaseu of the struggle they have adjusting to normalcy.

However, I agree with you about not wasting time on books you find stupid. I've tried to read Anna Karina and the book with Heathcliff in it and I just can't get past the first pages. The characters are soo awful and i abhore the unrighreous choices they make. Why would I want to read about that? Les Miserables is one of my favorites because the author doesn't go into great detail about the sins but more about the characters. We need more authors with that ability

Kelly said...

Love this post. I agree with everything that was said.

I know this is not the point of your post, but I feel the need to defend Anna Karenina, since it is my favorite book.

1) It does not go into graphic detail about any sins. Does it talk about sins? Yes. Sin is real. The scriptures talk about sin all the time. And Tolstoy never uses any language or description that goes into any distasteful details about a character's sin. Are the characters horrible? As you read the book, you realize they are weak human beings that make horrible choices. But the book is also full of great characters, righteous people that make wonderful choices and their lives reflect that.

2) It is the best fictional book I have ever read that testifies of the horrible consequences of unrighteous living and the contrasts of the life to the joys and blessings of righteous living. Tolstoy is a master of teaching about agency through stories. When I finished the book, I felt like my testimony of the Atonement was greatly strengthened. It also inspired me to be more obedient to God's commandments. I feel like that is what Ashley is writing about here, the joy of literature that does that for the reader. It is terribly sad to read about the lives of the sinners and the reality of sin is that your life is sad. But this book is full of hope.

Lana, I'm sorry you hated it so much. But it is truly a masterpiece.

The Sabeys said...

I have nothing profound to say, but your writing is a masterpiece. When are you going to write a book?

Anonymous said...

Cameo, I agree, only I would add when are all of the Kitchens going to write their books? You guys are all phenominal writers :)

Kelly, I knew you would say that :) I've had this conversation with you before. I agree with you too. It's just as a reader I like to be warmed up to the weaker characters. and I usually don't like thme to be the main characters, excluding Scarlett O'Hara and Ruth. Have you read RUTH by Elizabeth Gaskell? No offense meant, but I feel like that is a far better book about weakness/sin compared to Anna Karina. I feel like the experiences/struggles of the characters are more realistic and bareable compared to the aweful experience of reading about the characters in Anna Karina. It's probably more of a reading preference; some glimps of optimism is desired. Plus, It's Russian literature/culture isn't to place to run to for rainbow's and unicorns.

Maybe I'm just old fashioned. Sometimes I get the feeling like I was supposed to be born in the 40's. And then there are times when I feel like I should have been born in the 1800's.

The struggles in Anna Karina didn't feel sacred to me. You are right, it's important to have an open mind asbout sin and weakness so we can learn from it. But I've read pleanty of other books with similar weaknesses as Anna Karina and they felt more sacred, optimistic, and I walked away a better person from the book. But then again, I couldn't even get past the 1 coupls of pages of Anna Karina. Maybe one day I'll be ableto pick it up again. I won't stop trying because I know you like it so much, but I have other books I want to read before I try it again.