Monday, October 17, 2011

Aqua Velvet

I have been told that I have a, ahem, unique sense of fashion.

One of Kelly's favorite memories is the day she ran into me on campus when I was wearing a bright purple plaid button up shirt and a bright red Canadian hoodie.  I still don't see what's so wrong with that.

Often when I go shopping with friends, I pull stuff off the rack and they choke out the words "That's...nice."  But then when I try it on for them, they say, "Wow, that actually looks really good."

I don't know why my body prefers weird things, but I've grown accustomed to it.

However, the other day I surprised even myself when I pulled this item off the rack:  Aqua Velvet


It wasn't just hints of velvet...it wasn't just even a velvet skirt...


It was an entire dress


At first I was like, "Do I secretly want to be a medieval princess?"  
And then I was like, "Maybe."


I did decide to tone it down a little with a cardigan so that it wasn't like "Whoa, that girl is wearing a velvet dress!" but was more like "Whoa, wait a second, I think that girl is wearing a velvet dress."


Please don't judge me.  I couldn't help myself - look at the way it falls and shimmers and shines...



And check this out: a velvet dress on a velvet armchair.  Can I get a what what!


And check this out: a velvet shoulder next to a bookshelf!  Can I get a...what?


In the end, I guess I just really like shiny things.  
That, or I'm planning on working at the medieval festival this summer.


Do you want to see the dress in it's full velvet glory?  I don't know, I'm not sure you can handle the velvet...


 Boom!  That's a lot of velvet!
And kind of dramatic looking...


Speaking of dramatic shots...Do you know when you put the flash of a camera angled behind your head in hopes of not flushing yourself out with the full flash you get this cool, dramatic effect?


I do like how that velvet shimmers in dramatic lighting...


I guess one thing we've learned today: don't leave Ashley home alone with a velvet dress and a camera.

Oh, and also don't leave her alone with chocolate covered potato chips.


Have you ever had one of these?  They are incredible. And the enemy of velvet dress owners.  I think they have a warning on the back that says: if you ever hope to look good in an all velvet dress, stay away from these.


Oh well.

7 comments:

Liz said...

There's my pumpkin!

Also...I think I ate most of those chocolate potato chips...sorry. 2 movies was just a lot of time for me to be around them!

You know how I feel about that dress... :)

Kelli Burton said...

ow ow!

Lil M said...

How much did that cost? And you can answer that for the dress and the chips.

Ashley said...

Dress: $12 Chips: $3 Your comment: Priceless

Alison said...

Ummm...will you please do more fashion posts? This was my favorite.

Kate said...

Are you secretly a supermodel?

The Sabeys said...

Work it! I am with Alison.