Thursday, November 17, 2011

Day to Day

Lots of people are curious with what I do all day.  
I don't have a job, I don't have a car, and my school work is done for now...
What DO I do all day? 

Well, this morning (unfortunately not every morning), I read my scriptures.
Do you know that Christ was prophesied to become "a priest for ever after the order of Melchizedek"?
It made me think of the priesthood and Elder Bednar and how I should know more about this kind of stuff...


Then I answered some emails, looked at temp jobs, called the bank, practiced my bagpipes, did some push ups...then got distracted by facebook and blogger and pinterest....

Then, I decided to be a human being and not an attachment to my computer so I went outside for a walk to try and practice taking pictures with long exposure.

But it was rainy, and I got distracted by raindrops that do not need long exposures to be pretty.


I love how rain turns life into a perpetual Christmas, with twinkle lights glistening at the edge of all things.



As pretty as rain is, it chased me back inside where I tried practicing long exposure on a fan.
Exciting, eh?


I tried practicing long exposure on the water coming out of the kitchen sink (special KitcheN'sync shout out!), but I got distracted by my shamrocks, as I often do.



I can't help myself, they just fascinate me.  The above is a picture of them from last month.


I had just about given them up for dead, but then the miracle of life happened and they started to bloom again.



And today I noticed how many more leaves had grown.
Although now they grow as red leaves right from the start, no longer ashamed to show their Canadian roots I guess.



They still curl up and sleep at night, or sometimes they just curl up for a quiet afternoon nap.



Watching this plant grow and die and grow again has been like watching a nine month long, edge of your seat movie full of surprising twists (remember the Canadian discovery?), heartfelt goodbyes, and ultimate comebacks.

I've named her Hope,eh - which is the Canadian word for hope.



I decided I should do more with my day than take a million pictures of a plant by the window, so I tried to read for book club.



But I got distracted by lunch, which made me think about how we didn't own matching salt and pepper shakers.

Which reminded me of a poem by Billy Collins where he asks the question that we should really all be asking ourselves:

Are the salt and pepper shakers friends after all these years, or have they remained strangers, side by side, together but silent?


After lunch, it was time to be productive again, so I pulled out my computer to work on the ward slideshow.

But I got distracted while looking for slideshow songs and I discovered this version of Swing Low Sweet Chariot by Zooey Deschanel.



So I listened to it while I worked on my sketchbook for the 2012 Sketchbook Project.


Until I got distracted by whether or not I should repaint my toenails.  I decided not to.


Then I decided I should probably be productive and blog...but about what?

Maybe about how it's time to get a job...time to go out and make friends with the world after all this time, instead of remaining a silent stranger by its side.

3 comments:

Alison said...

So that's what you've been doing all this time. It was beautiful.

Kim Woodruff said...

:)

Kelli Burton said...

water pics. divine. they do look like Christmas lights!