Thursday, February 23, 2012

Me and George

When I was in the second grade, I was told that George Washington died of a common head cold.  From that moment on, every time I have suffered through a cold I have sincerely believed that I could very well be on my death bed.


I mean, if the common cold took down George Washington - the first president of the greatest nation on earth, the war general who won freedom for all of us, the leader who could have been king but was courageous enough to step down - if the cold could get the man himself, then it could get any of us.


I've been battling a George Washington-esque sinus infection for almost a week now.  Today was one of the worst days yet - the pounding headaches, the congestion, the pain of swallowing, the incessant coughing, the throbbing teeth, the feeling of two tons of liquid sloshing around in my head - it's enough to make a girl try to make peace with her life.

I've found peace in the idea that I guess it's not so bad to belong to the Death By Common Cold Club.  I mean, if it's got good ol' George then it's bound to be a party.

On the other hand, I guess it's not so bad to belong to the Age of Amoxicillin Conquering All Club either.  Here's to hoping I belong to that party soon!

4 comments:

Lil M said...

Also, George Washington's birthday is also Ash Wednesday. Bonus connection!

Alison said...

I think you should belong to the second club.

Kelli Burton said...

it's those adorable kids. I've never been sicker in my life than the year I worked with kids in an elementary school...

Sarah said...

George Washington bleed to death by leaching, which was a popular treatment for a bad cold back then. Everyone knows that.