Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Book Review - The Help by Kathryn Stockett


I don't know what to say about this book except that it was nice.  It wasn't bad or good or even great, it was just...nice.  Was it well written and insightful?  Yes.  Did one of the chapters make me openly cry?  Maybe.  Did it deserve to be on the NY Times bestseller list for over a year?  Sure.  Would I suggest other people read it?  I already have, several times.

I don't know what's stopping me from raving about it.  I really did enjoy the book and found it a fascinating perspective, especially since my dad's family had "help" while he was growing up and he speaks fondly of those memories.  But maybe it was just too predictable for me, the plots and characters and language just seemed too familiar.  I was touched without being awed, moved without being inspired.  I guess what I'm trying to say is...it's nice.  Read it.

2 comments:

Sarah said...

I just don't how to feel about this review.

Ashley said...

How about you feel nice about it?