Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Confesssions

It's time for another weekly confession.  This week's addiction: dress patterns.

Confession: I have never actually used a dress pattern, so I guess the real addiction should be correctly labeled as dress pattern pictures.

Confession: I could spend hours at the fabric store looking at dress patterns.  I think it comes from going there as a child with my mom.

Confession: I may or may not have found a few websites to feed my addiction.  My all time favorite dress pattern pictures come from So Vintage Patterns.

Confession:  This is my favorite dress pattern from the 1930s.  (Side Confession: I'm a sucker for any kind of gathering at the neck and sheer draping.)


Confession: This is my favorite dress from the 1940s.  I love any kind of stripes and I LOVE white material with colored flowers.


Confession: This is my favorite dress from the 1950s.  Just look at that peek-a-boo boat neck with the bow!  Isn't it to die for?!  And the buttons down the back and the little fish tail?  Sigh.


Confession: This is my favorite dress from the 1960s.  Doesn't it just look like she's walking around in a cloud of warm, happy spring?


Confession: This is a dress from the 1970s.  They had a lot of wild stuff in the 70s.  If a Sunday picnic dress and an Anne of Green Gables dress were to have a child, this is what it would look like.


Confession: This is my favorite dress from the 1980s.  On the website, I think this is the only pattern for the 80s, apparently there wasn't much from that decade worth keeping.  But with an extra sleeve on the floral dress, I think I could get behind it.  And do the cha-cha.


Confession: This is my favorite dress from the 1990s.  I love cowl necklines in any form, and again with sleeves, I think this dress is very pretty.  It reminds me of the little mermaid.


Confession: This is my favorite wedding gown.  It's got How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria written all over it.


Confession: I was just going to show one of my favorites from each decade, but I think I'm just going to show all my favorites.  I thought maybe I should limit myself and then I thought, this is a post about an addiction, so why control myself?

I love the sleeves, the wrap around, the gathering...I love this dress.


Um, a dress that has a built in cape?  Yes, please.


More wild ideas from the 70s.



So elegant.


Elizabeth Taylor is in the house.


I don't know why, but to me this brown number is simply stunning.


Beautiful to me is anything with lace or the appearance of lace.


I have a thing for plaids.  If plaid were a boy, I would marry him.


If I can't have a plaid boy, I will settle for that plaid hat down in the corner.


I love this.


I double love this.  No, I quadruple to the fifth power love this.


 And finally, I could stare at this dress all day long.  It's got the lace, the sheer draping affect, a pop of color.  I think I'm in love.


Confession:  I'm really posting this in hopes that Alison will take a hint and sew me a dress for Christmas this year.

3 comments:

Alison said...

I had no idea you had this fascination with dress patterns, but I love it. And I'm pretty sure you meant you want Mom to make you a dress for Christmas. If you want a dress that is slightly too tight on top, with uneven shoulder straps, and looks like a Disney princess, I'm your girl.

Kate said...

Your blog is my favorite blog of all time. That is not a lie.

Mamanua said...

Maybe you might want to look at my 'old' collection of patterns next time you are home! :)