Monday, April 11, 2011

First Day of School

Photo by A. Kitchen

Today was my first day of school.  Well, it was my 20th first day of school, technically.  I finally started my teacher observations!

I loved every minute of it.  But my favorite part, as always, was meeting the students and trying to get a grasp on their names.

I was at a table working with some little first graders: Y'ze (male), Ibn (male), Samiyah (female), and 3 Devons (all male).  While I was silently debating how to pronounce Y'ze, Samiyah started yelling that she wanted her eraser back from Devon #2.  Y'ze turned to me and said, "When a woman wants her stuff, you better give it to her.  Am I right?  When a woman wants something you have to give it to her?"  I said, "Well, that would be a very polite thing to do."

A minute later, someone called Y'ze's name.  They pronounced it Wise.  I should have known.

4 comments:

Ruthie K said...

Haha! I love names like that!
And I also LOVE that picture. One day I hope to be as awesome as you. One day.

Mamanua said...

Out of the mouth of 'babes'...... When did this observation mode begin? I don't remember hearing about this one.

Sarah said...

Yah! You finally started your observation. That's a hilarious story. I'm going to steal it and say that it happened to me.

Ashley said...

Ruthie, you are a notch above awesome.

Mom, yesterday was my first day, so I haven't had much to talk about until now.

Sarah. I don't understand how you could steal that story and make it believable since you are never in a classroom, but I believe if anyone could do it, you could. *Disclaimer: Even though I believe in you, stealing is still wrong.